Friday, November 19, 2004

When To Take Notice



When Viewtiful Joe originally appeared on the Gamecube I took little notice of it, not because it didn't interest me, but because I didn't and still don't own a Gamecube. I will pick up a Gamecube at some point they are only $115 anyway.

Though I remember many people commenting on Viewtiful Joe and seeing a fair bit about it, and also a lot of comments on the great but fairly hard gameplay. Luckily for me it's been released on the PS2 and I picked it up as soon as I could.

Viewtiful Joe is pretty much what everyone else has said it is. A great 2D/3D side scrolling cel-shaded platformer. It's simple yet addictive gameplay that everyone should really check out. I picked it up for $40, and at that it's a real bargain. Plus with Viewtiful Joe 2 coming soon, you should really check out the first one now.

The PS2 has a few extra features, one being the ability to play as Dante from Devil May Cry, which you unlock after completing the game.

The game has that great Capcom style to it and while at times can be a little difficult, plus I don't totally agree with some of the play aspects in it. These would be having to purchase extra lives in the store, but the price goes up each time, making it more difficult to afford another like especially after a very difficult section in the game. Another being at times the lack of direction the game gives you while solving a puzzle or navigating a level.

But these are little things and the style and substance of the game more than makes up for most of the frustrating aspects of it. Also it's a game you won't to play through again just for some of the cool things you can do.