Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Something You Shouldn't Do

There is a good reason why I didn’t post yesterday, apart from kind of forgetting, I was messing around with my PSP for a while once I got home. You see my poor PSP doesn’t get that much use, since it’s a portable device, the only time it gets any real use is when I’m getting my car serviced. Anyway with all the talk oh, homebrew, piracy and loaders I had to see what all the fuss was about. Now I don’t advocate or support piracy, I don’t even chip my consoles, I think people should support the software creators and such, plus if you read this site you know how much gear I buy. However I had this burning desire to see if I could get something I didn’t really own to run on my PSP. So I grabbed all the files needed and gave Coded Arms a bit of a test, it didn’t want to run at first but only because of some miss named file antics. I don’t really know why, stuff like this just intrigues me, I shouldn’t be able to do it, yet I can.

So anyway Coded Arms from the memory stick, it’s what I would say “far to easy” to do. Though I don’t feel too guilty, Coded Arms is a bit shit anyway. I played the first City level through, and I kid you not, that for about 7 levels, it was the same stage with things just re-arranged. I think a FPS could work on the PSP, just not with the awkward controls that Coded Arms implements. Basically you use the analogue stick to move, and then buttons to look around, yeah I know weird. You then use the D-Pad to zoom, and reload, and the right shoulder button to fire. Even after you do get used to it, it’s still messy. I think you can alter the way the controls work, but I can’t be that bothered. Plus the game is a little dull.

One thing that is good about these loaders, if that if you say own Lumines as I do. You can put that onto you memory stick and have the choice to play either that or say Wipeout on the UMD that is in the PSP. I know ultimately these types of things are mainly piracy, but they do have practical uses as well.