Friday, October 20, 2006

Mmm Splintery

After doing the whole late night shopping thing I managed to pick up my copy of Splinter Cell Double Agent. I've no idea why, when I go late night shopping there are just hundreds of kids hang about doing what seems to be, bugger all. I guess you look cooler when you're at a mall or... something.

Anyway enough of that. Double Agent, which I only managed to put a small amount of time into last night, is from my initial impressions pretty much in the same vein as previous SC games. I've not played SC in a long long time, I think the last one I got into was Pandora Tomorrow. So I did the training missions to get back into the game and the control system. Controls are pretty standard, though it took me sometime to adjust to them again. The tanning missions are nice and open, non of the "press this button" or "walk here". It basically gives you an objective, gives you tips on the controls, and then lets you go about experimenting to complete the objective. It's a nice way of doing it, except the bloody while matrix style room they put you in is utter arse, as you can tell one thing from another most of the time.

The first mission is great and not hard at all, it's a nice way to get back into the feel of things. It seems pretty much like classic SC to me. Though one nice touch is that completing certain secondary objectives, like not setting off an alarm, opens up new gadgets later on.

I've seen people rave about the graphics, and while yeah they look great and seem fairly polished, it's not some sort of huge leap over anything else. Not really as much "wow factor" as the other SC's had on the Xbox. I'm not sure why, but I'm wondering if this had been an 360 exclusive title and not ported to every goddamn console they could find, if the graphics could have been better.