Saturday, January 01, 2005

Initial D

Since there is nothing going on in the game industry at the moment, making there nothing worthwhile commenting about, I thought I would write up a little about one of my favourite anime shows, Initial D.

I think most people have heard of this anime by now, especially since Toykopop managed to get the US rights to it and Madman are releasing it in Australia. I myself have been picking it up from Madman, mainly because it's easier and there really isn't any difference to the US release. The only thing is, since it's 14 DVDs, with 3 episodes on each DVD, and Tokyopop deciding they wanted to do some stupid crap with the Dub and change the visuals and music, the could just do the dub and release the DVDs quicker, at the moment it's taking 2 months per DVD, which just isn't right.

Anyway it's getting a local release which is all that matters. I think Madman also have the rights to the Second Stage as well, though I really want to see the movie, Third Stage. Plus there is the new Forth stage to look forward to also. I guess the only reason I am so impatient is that I have already seen all of the First Stage, and want to see some new storyline, which is my own fault. Though I don't mind watching the First Stage again, I just wish I could get hold of the DVDs quicker, having to wait 2 months in between fixes is just painful.

The thing with Initial D is, it's getting quite old now. The animation is pretty rough, and the 3D animation looks a bit dated. But the music, storyline and action in this series is just awesome. A while ago I saw some of what I think was the Second Stage or might have been Forth I'm unsure, on a winamp videostream and I go excited just to see something new. Once you get into the storyline with Initial D it just hooks you. It's strange in that way, I've heard people say that they have no interest in cars at all, but really liked Initial D. Though it is a bonus if you are into cars, or have some knowledge, I think it just helps. Like playing Gran Turismo if your into cars, it's that much more enjoyable.

Avex Trax Initil D Site