Friday, January 14, 2005

More PSP Love



After spending a bit more time with the PSP, you really do get what all the fuss is about. When you hold the PSP, apart from the screen, the first thing I noticed was the weight. It's has a great feel too it, and the weight it just right, giving it a quality feel. The build quality of the unit is great and I've yet to notice anything I dislike about it, besides the D-Pad squeaks sometimes when you push it too the right, but I'm sure it will ware in. For the price of the unit, it is a quality piece of kit, from the look, the feel and the build it's fantastic.

The screen on the unit is simply beautiful, it's bright, sharp and vivid, everything just looks fantastic on it from the menu, to games and movies.

Sound from the unit isn't great, it's ok and you can play games on it, but it's just tinny. Likewise are the headphones from the Value Pack, which I am sort of disappointed in. They are very light and don't seem to be of a great quality, there ok but they just have no bass to them. I've just been using some Sony headphones that came with a quite expensive walkman and they work a treat. However I would recommend something like Sony's Fontopia Headphones which are pretty affordable.

Wireless play works a treat. The first day I had the unit, I tried it out with a friend of mine and after setting up a game in Ridge Racers we were set. Wanting to see how far it would work, he walked off to another part of the office, which was good few meters away, and there was no signal drop at all. Though were yet to really test how far it's will go, but I'm sure we will soon enough.

With regards to MP3 playback and movies it's great. I've seen people going on about the process of putting movies on the PSP, trying to make it seem all complex, it's not! All you need it something like DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypted to rip the part of the DVD you want, once you have the VOB file from the DVD you use the 3GP to convert that to an MPEG4 then put it on the PSP. It's only 2 steps, it's not that hard. It's easy and video playback looks great.

I'll post some pics of the unit soon, and also write up some impressions of Ridge Racers.