Sunday, April 10, 2005

Cable-O-Rama

As I said I was going to in a previous post, I took on the task of re-cabling all my gear today. It was a bigger job than I thought and ended up taking me more time than I had initially anticipated. Because I moved some of my gear around to make it easier to cable, I then had to cut two extra holes in the back of my TV cabinet. Then the task of moving things around and all the cabling just seemed to take up a fair amount of time. Though it's all done now and looks a damn sight better, except for my poor VCR which has been relegated to the floor because of lack of space for it. Anyway here are a few pics of it all.


This here is one of the god awful before pics, I'm kind of ashamed that I let it get this bad. It was mainly due to the location of the switcher and the DVD player that all the cables ended up crammed into such a small area. This thankfully has now been remedied by moving said devices.


This is another before pic of everything, it's not too bad but it certainly isn't great to look at, and there is just stuff everywhere. This is with the TV cabinet pulled quite a way out, it usually looks ten times worse because everything is all push together.


More of before, this time with everything unplugged and just tossed into a pile, this all got sorted out shortly after.


This is the end result, with the TV cabinet back in it original position and everything tied up. Some cables are mounted onto the back of the TV cabinet with little release clips, just to keep things tidy. I use cable ties for most things, I know some people use those velcro cable ties, but I find they are more suited to large groups of cable. I know cables ties can be a pain because you have to cut them off, but I just prefer them.


This is just another after pic, it's how the first picture now looks. There are quite a few power supplies there, I have no idea what to really do with those. Also the cables to the left are for the Gamecube, they will get hooked up when I get my component switcher.

That's pretty much it. I know it might seem strange to put so much effort into something like this, especially as no one ever sees behind the TV anyway. But it's just something I like to do, it also makes it much easier if I need to remove anything or pull out a cable later on.