Friday, February 25, 2005

It's Not Broken

Well this week has finally come to an end, I was wondering when it was going to happen, especially since it seemed to insist it was going on indefinably, I don't think the lack of sleep helped.

So what's new, well the Gamecube is still sitting here not being used. Why? WHY! you ask? Well I'm still waiting for things to be deliver, I recently ordered a component cable from Nintendo, the woman who I spoke to and took my order was lovely, so I can't put down Nintendo's customer service. Though I did order it on Wednesday and she told me it would ship Monday at the latest, which does seem like quite a long time. Though it doesn't matter because I'm also waiting for my 1019 memory card anyway.

Luckily I managed to pick up a couple of games I was after from eBay UK. They just happened to be the Limited Edition Zelda Wind Waker, the one with the bonus disc, and Metroid Prime. They cost me $60 including shipping which I thought was quite a bargain, especially since the SE Wind Waker goes for over $50 on eBay AU quite often. They both came from the same seller so it worked out quite well.

On to other news however, NewsCorp buying Edios, it's just not a good thing. Let me try and explain why I think so. Game developers are businesses and thus need to make a profit, right. However at times they might want to go out on a limb and be creative with a title they know may or may not sell well, but are willing to risk it. Think things like Rez and Ico. Sure neither of those games probably sold in huge quantities, but they gave the developers a lot of respect from gamers. Now think of EA, there not half as bad as NewsCorp are when it comes to things. But NewsCorp would run a game company like EA does, based on pure profit margins. Now there is nothing wrong with wanting to make money from a business, but at the cost of polluting a creative industry is where I draw the goddamn line.

You just know what they are thinking, just churn out what the average teen wants, to achieve maximum profit for the share holders. The industry doesn't need another EA, it really doesn't. Hey maybe NewsCorp will be different and put to use the creative talents of Edios and bring out some amazing games, after all a company the size of NewsCorp can afford to takes risks, weather they want to or not is another thing.