Sunday, February 27, 2005

MEGA Game Haulage



I took a trip down to my local Games Wizards today, I wanted to check out their Gamecube section and see if they had a copy of F-Zero GX. Which they didn't, plus their Gamecube section was very limited.

So after looking around for a while I wander to the rear of the store and suddenly notice that a few games were $10 each, mainly some Xbox Classic titles. Now $10 for a game is a win, so I kept looking along the shelf. As you can see from the picture I ended up buying a few games, but they weren't all $10.

I picked up 6 games in the end which included:

Project Gotham Racing (Xbox Classics) - $10 - I picked this up because it was only $10, I usually don't buy "Classics" games, but hey when they are say under $15.

Rallisport Challenge (Xbox Classics) - $10 - Again cheap at only $10, so I thought why not! I don't currently have any rally games, and arcade style rally is always fun.

R:Racing (PS2) - $10 - Now I thought about this for a moment when I was in the store, I hadn't read anything great about it, but the cover art is slick so I picked it up. It's not a Ridge Race game so the racing is very different, and it has a fairly realistic physics engine. I haven't played a great deal of it, but it's not awful, and it's quite playable.

Beyond Good & Evil (PS2) - $10 - As soon as I saw this I grabbed it. I've heard people say that it was a great game but ignored it as just being another "adventure" style game. At $10 I thought what the hell I'm going to see for myself. Well, it's a pretty fine game. The action component of it is great and combat works really well, you're also encouraged to explore more and analyse creatures with a camera which you can use to take pictures of living things for cash. The game as a whole is just very well done, many of the sequences from gameplay to voice action and cinematics just work very well. For anyone into action type games this is highly recommended, even if you do pay more than a tenner ;)

Shenmue II (Xbox) - $30 - I have no idea if I will even like this game, but I just picked it up because I'm tired of seeing it around and not having played it. Plus it's a nice addition to my collection either way.

Project Gotham Racing 2 - $35 - This wasn't so cheap, but I like the game because it's just so slick. I know you can pick it up for $44 from DVD Crave but hey it was just there and I wanted a copy anyway.

So in the end I spent just over a $100 for 6 games, which I thought was quite good. There were quite a few titles on sale but most of the others didn't interest me or I already owned them, though they did have OutRun 2 on Xbox for an amazing $20. Games Wizards do have the best sales, I'll give them that. I have contemplated going to another GW that a little further away from me, though I don't know if they are open on a Sunday, and I also don't know if I want to spend any more cash on games this week.

Your probably wondering about the F-Zero GX in the picture, well I actually ended up getting it in Target for $50, I would have picked it up in EB but they manhandle their stuff at times and the case was all rough.

I tried a little of F-Zero, but because I currently don't have a memory card or the component cable I only played one race. Anyway it's a slick looking game, even from bootup it just has that arcade feel to it, which I would say SEGA would probably be responsible for. I can't wait to get into it as it seems like a really decent racer. Though I must say, I never did think I would see that day that a SEGA logo came up on a Nintendo console, makes me a little sad really.