Thursday, March 24, 2005

Quatre

I managed to pick up Resident Evil 4 Collectors Edition and Devil May Cry 3 tonight. I managed to score a free t-shirt with DMC3 which isn't bad, for some reason these things are always a large, go figure? I haven't touched DMC3 yet because of the goodness that RE4 embodies.

The RE4 Collectors Edition is the standard RE4 game, plus an extra movie disc that has a load of movies from previous Resident Evil games, and a making of RE4. I thought it was just going to be a DVD, but it's actually a Gamecube disc. This disc also comes in it's own case, and is packaged with the game in a cardboard sleeve. It looks quite smart, I'll post pics tomorrow.

On to the game. Let me say this, after I started playing RE4, I didn't want to put it down. The only reason I did was because it was getting late and I wanted to type this. You can't compare or even think of other RE games when you play RE4. It's in a class of it's own, Capcom have gone all out and made this game something to marvel, they pioneered the survival horror genera and now they have kicked it up a gear.

RE4 seems to do everything right and doesn't miss a beat. The atmosphere is fantastic, aided by great sound effects and excellent visuals, you always seem to be wary of what's around the next corner just waiting to impale you with a pitchfork. One thing that makes this game so great is that is just feels solid, movement and control are great. I've had a few issues getting used to the controls but it's just learning curve. However the way the game feels when you fire the shotgun, you just know you are going to do some damage.

While I so far haven't found the game to be hard, it can be quite challenging. I have been constantly low on ammo, desperately searching barrels and boxes for another red pack of those lovely projectiles. It's not from wasting ammo either, this game makes your work for those kills.

After playing the game you can see why it has acquired the acclaim is has. This is Resident Evil, this is what survival horror is all about, surviving.