Tuesday, March 08, 2005

An Ultimate, Ultimate?


I decided that I was time I finally purchased something to store my games in, so today after work I made a trip to Ikea and purchased a Robin Multimedia unit. It's quite nice looking, and holds about 110 DVD size cases, more than the supposed 80 that their site says it holds. It's got adjustable shelves so you can configure it for CDs if you like. I'll post some pics of it soonish. I quite like Ikea stores, but not having been there before to buy anything, I didn't realise that after paying for the unit I then had to drive to their warehouse, about 13km away. WTF is that? I really shouldn't have to drive that far to pick up a goddamn DVD storage unit. Crazy.

When I got to work today my copy of DOA: Ultimate was waiting there for me, it arrived late Friday so that's why I didn't have it over the weekend. Not that it mattered I wouldn't have had time for it, what with Wind Waker and also the F1 being on.

So DOA: Ultimate, to be honest I wasn't even sure what the hell this game was, but for all who don't know it's a 2 disc set and contains a remake of DOA2 with a load of extras running on the DOA3 engine, and a port of DOA1, which looks a lot cleaner than any version I've seen before, but it still sucks. I first played DOA1 on the PSX when it was released and loved it, but now it just feels dated, and I really don't know why you would want to play it, well besides the online play.

DOA2 Ultimate on the other hand is great, since it's been revamped and is now running on the DOA3 engine it looks excellent and plays with the fluidity of DOA3. The one thing to really note are the impressive multi-tear environments, which are even better looking and much more detailed than those of DOA3. Plus the game has plenty of items and costumes to unlock, so it has a lot to keep you busy with. I only played through story mode and few times and a bit of time trial, but it feels like a solid game, worth checking out, maybe not at say $80 though. Try $50 odd.

Not much else has been going on. I picked up a copy of Capcom Vs SNK 2 for PS2 from CD-Wow, it cost me $35 with a voucher which was nice. I've only played it on the Dremcast before, so I'm hoping the PS2 version is similar. Oh and that release date I put up for Metal Gear Solid 3 is wrong (sorry!), according to EB it's going to be the 17th of this month, that date was from DVD Crave but they might be getting stock from the UK which is why the earlier date.